Hi everyone! How have you been? We have been bombarded by news on coronavirus or COVID-19 everyday! There are now more cases in US and Europe. People are queuing and buying masks and toilet rolls (why toilet rolls?!?!). It has caused so much fear and anxiety in people’s heart.
Everyday, I pray Psalm 91 over you. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousands at your right hand, it shall not come near you! I pray for peace of God will guard your heart. I pray for a strong immune system for you. Your body will be strong and able to fight any virus or diseases.
Our immune system is a gift from God and it does a awesome job in defending us against invaders like bacterias, viruses, parasites, even a fungus. Sometimes when germ/virus manage to invade successfully, we fall sick.
With a strong immune system, we can reduce chances of getting infected. Even if we get infected, chances of recovery is definitely much higher. Currently there is no vaccine for COVID-19. We depend on our own body to fight and recover.
We walk by faith, we also walk in wisdom. Other than avoiding crowds and watching our personal hygiene, I wanted to share some practical wisdom on how to protect ourselves during times like this.
6 Ways to Improve our Immune System
1) Get enough sleep -Insomnia caused us to feel fatigued and more vulnerable to common illness like flu (in the short term). Our body uses sleep to heal itself. Studies have shown that sleeping seven hours a night can increased resistance to infectious diseases
2) Adequate sunlight-Sunlight triggers the skin to produce vitamin D. Low vitamin D levels is linked to a greater risk of respiratory infection
3) Exercise regularly-We don’t need a special boot camp for this. Fast walking for 20 mins, 3 times a week is good enough. Studies show that people who exercise have better-functioning white blood cells (help to fight off invaders). Exercise produces endorphins that helps you to relax and sleep better
4) Drink less alcohol-Moderate drinking is no more than two drinks a day for a man, or one drink for a woman. Drinking too much alcohol can affect the function of white blood cells and lower your defence to infection.
5) Destress-Constant stress makes us more vulnerable to everything from common cold to major illness. It is linked to heart disease and hypertension. A constant cascade of stress hormones, such as cortisol and adrenaline, weaken the immune system.
6) Healthy diet-This is essential to a healthy immune system. Empty calories will lead to weight gain and leave you more prone to infection. Take more fruits and vegetables. Avoid things like sugar, especially because microbes love sugar. A diet rich in antioxidant, on the other hand, can boost resistance to infection
To me, maintaining a healthy diet is the most important. Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. We must feed it with good spiritual and physical food.
Do you know the gut is your largest immune organ? Our gut wall houses 70 % of the cells that make up your immune system. The food we eat not only feeds our cells but also determines the “garden” we are growing in us. Getting your gut bacteria healthy is key to staying healthy. If your bacteria are sick, so are you! Many diseases (allergies, dementia, acne, IBS, cancer) seemingly unrelated are actually caused by gut problems.
If you want a healthy body and a strong immune system, start with your gut!
I hope you are blessed! Stay healthy and safe!